Friday, May 14, 2010

What should I do with a baby squirrel?

i found a baby squirrel that was on the verge of death, it could barely walk, it had fleas, it was basically desperate. i know that they are very dependent on the mother, and it having fleas is a sign that it has been without a mother for days. i'm guessing its nest was in some trees that were recently cut down. anyway, i've been feeding it puppy formula and it walks around and stuff now, and it sleeps a lot. but when i'm not holding it, it follows me around and climbs up my legs. it wants me to hold it all the time and i'm afraid that i won't be able to release it as an adult because it's too dependent on humans, but it is definitely to young to survive on it's own right nowWhat should I do with a baby squirrel?
I've actually raised a squirrel - I also found him on the verge of death and nursed him back to health. When he was very young, he did a lot of the same behaviors you're describing. It's natural for a young animal of any kind to cling to and want attention from his provider (you). But it's also natural that at a certain point in their development these clingy behaviors will grow into independence and self-sufficiency. When my squirrel neared adulthood, he got extremely skiddish, jumpy, and cautious of me. I took it as a sign that he was ready to try things on his own. So I set him loose in my back yard. For two or three weeks, he would come back to visit and be fed. Eventually, he got to a point where he would only come so close and wouldn't allow me to touch him. Nature will take it's course if you allow it. He'll know when it's time to grow up and be a big squirrel, so don't worry that you're inhibiting him or harming him in any way. You saved his life!What should I do with a baby squirrel?
at this point you should find someone to adopt it.
I agree with Donna on this. Its too late to let it go in the woods. But if you have a yard than maybe you can build it a little house and keep it out back when it gets older. Im sure you could find someone to adopt it if its as people friendly as you say. If i could take it i definatley would but i am in an apartment without a yard. You can also give it to ASPCA. They would be willing to do what they can for it. I hear they make decent pets though. Make sure you get it checked out before it becomes a little more aggressive and goes around children.
  • trilogy
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment