Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Can a baby squirrel live with a broken neck?

I found a baby squirrel in my backyard this afternoon and I believe it has a broken neck. I called the humane society and they said they couldn't help with squirrels. Instead they gave me a number to call and I left a message. I was afraid of the little guy dying in the cold so I found him a shoe box and put a towel inside to keep warm.Can a baby squirrel live with a broken neck?
He will be dead in the morning,a broken neck is fatal,the humane thing to do,and this will probably get me lots of thumbs down is to pop him in the head with something and put him out of his misery rather than let him suffer all night,that is of course if he really does have a broken neck,he cant recover from that,people put there dogs to sleep when they are fatally ill whats the difference with a squirrelCan a baby squirrel live with a broken neck?
Theoretically you can break your neck and survive, as long as the spinal cord inside the bones is not damaged. This rarely happens, however, and since you moved the squirrel (i'm assuming) into the shoe box, that decreases the likelihood even higher of its survival. Sad, I know, but likely true. And as even sadder as this is, it is probably best if it does have a broken neck to put it out of its misery, as it will not be able to survive on its own and animals generally don't do very well with injuries that many humans can learn to live with. Ie, paralysis.
If the neck is broken, the best thing to do is euthanize it.
Have him euthanized =/ I think a vet would be willing to do it.
That is sad =( but i doubt it can live

No comments:

Post a Comment