Wednesday, May 12, 2010

FOUND BABY SQUIRREL HELP!!! ASAP?

My mom and I found a baby squirrel. We waited a few hours and saw no mother squirrel was coming to get him. He is unconscious. Before, he was very cold and breathing very erratically, but now his breathing is a bit steadier. We wrapped him in a warm scarf and put him on top of a heating pad on low. He doesn't have any bugs on him. Sometimes when I stroke the top of his head, he stirs a little bit, but doesn't open his eyes. He is not emaciated. He has all of his fur and baby teethies. I tried to give him a little bit of baby formula but he is unresponsive and I am afraid to suffocate him. I don't think he's dehydrated because I pinch his skin and it pulls back to normal. I don't want to stir him too much. Does anyone know what to do? He has no visible wounds or visibly broken bones. I felt him lightly, but it looks like he's okay. Could he have fallen and gotten a concussion or something? Please help, if you know a good amount about orphaned squirrels. Does anyone know a reliable squirrel rehabilitation/sanctuary in or close to New York City? If so, please PLEASE list it. I dont want to take him to the vet just yet, because someone told me most veterinarians offices just euthanise them. Thanks so much.FOUND BABY SQUIRREL HELP!!! ASAP?
Call your local Wild life Rescue Society and they will either come and pick him up or have you brig him t them. They have people and medications to care for him until he will be ready to be released back into the wild.FOUND BABY SQUIRREL HELP!!! ASAP?
here's a list of New York State Wildlife Rehabilitators:


http://www.nyswrc.org/rehabbers.html#new鈥?/a>
Take him to a no kill shelter, they will know what to do and will take care of him.
Try to give him dried nuts, they like those. It is probably, a very young one, so it is not very active. Take him to your local vet, to se if he is ok. I know that you said that you dont want to take hime to the vet, but this could be an emergency! Instead of giving him to a shelter, I think you should keep him as a companion. Most shelters(or sancuarys) put the animal to sleep, if it is not adopted(even non- killing shelters). I really hope that I helped you!:) Good luck! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment