Wednesday, May 12, 2010

We caught a baby squirrel. Now what? What would Buddha do?

I practice Buddhism. While I was away on a trip, my dad caught the squirrel that's been eating the electrics in our loft and released it in the woods. He also caught one of the squirrel's very young babies the next day, and also released it in the woods.





I was upset by this, because I'm pretty sure it was not old enough to survive without its mother, and it would have been more compassionate just to drown it right away (although I know that killing is wrong).





Just now he caught the other baby squirrel outside in the garden, after he noticed his dog attacking it. The squirrel isn't badly hurt, but it's in shock, and it's very weak-looking and thin compared to the other baby (according to my dad). He's planning to release it same as with the others, but would it be best if I stopped him?





In my opinion, the squirrel has done nothing to us, and it wasn't even living in out attic like the other two. It's our fault it was even in the garden, because we took its mother away, and it's our fault it's so malnourished and scared. Surely it would be terrible karma to have done all that, and then effectively KILL the squirrel??





What should I do? What would Buddha do?We caught a baby squirrel. Now what? What would Buddha do?
I think we need to leave nature alone. While it's very hard to overlook an animal who needs help, if we try to domesticate them with care, we begin a losing battle. If they aren't able too fend alone, we have to let them go.


Remind me of that the next time I try to rescue a baby bird.We caught a baby squirrel. Now what? What would Buddha do?
I learned while living in the country to not intervene with the wild critters. It is survival of the fittest, the babies best chance are to be left alone, enjoyed when we see them thrive, and remember, nature takes care of itself. That is God's way.
buddha would eat the squirrel





have you seen buddha? hes ****** huge, im surprised he hasn't necrophagized his followers
Buddha is ******* huge, and he eats people, so eat the squirrel.
Buddha would not harm the creatue in any way. You should too.
Attempt to keep it alive then attempt to set it free. All life wants to live
I do not, in honesty, know what Buddha would do, but I know what I would do, and if Buddha was to call me to account over my actions, I could justify them. I followed my heart, I did what I genuinely believed to be the best course of action for all concerned.


I would release the squirrel. It belongs in the woods, not in my care. I am not a squirrel, I cannot give it all that it needs.


I honour it's spirit, I let it go.That is my way.


Whatever choice you make, make it the choice that you feel is the best choice.


At the end of the day it is your conscience you must answer to.


I do know the ways of your belief, so I can only advise that you allow your good judgement to guide you.


:)
  • trilogy
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment