Friday, May 14, 2010

Is it ok to touch a baby squirrel? If not, what diseases should I keep in mind?

Friday I found this baby squirrel abandoned after the construction workers destroyed a squirrel den, so I decided to take him in and nurse him abck to health until ready to go into the wild. Hes 5 weeks old right now, only thing is, I have touched him slightly without gloves but im curious if its ok to touch this squirrel? I know how rodents can carry some diseases, but I wanted to help this squirrel. Right now hes built his strength back up, he just hasnt opened his eyes yet (hes too young)Is it ok to touch a baby squirrel? If not, what diseases should I keep in mind?
No, it is not okay. For starters, there's rabies (hydrophobia is actually a symptom of rabies, not some separate disease). Then, there's the wonderful disease that rodents are known to carry those in the know call ';The Bubonic Plague.'; Your history teacher most likely called it ';The Black Death.';Is it ok to touch a baby squirrel? If not, what diseases should I keep in mind?
Diseases


In general, squirrels carry no diseases that are easily transmitted to humans. It is subject to rabies; however, rabies in squirrels is very rare. Any squirrel that is exceedingly aggressive, lethargic, has trouble moving, or is immobile should be avoided.
This website says that it's not good to try to raise baby squirrels by yourself, because they usually die. They have a link you can click to contact people who have successfully raised and rehabilitated baby squirrels.
You are doing well!


I wouldn't worry about any diseases from this squirrel. Basically, it hasn't had a chance to catch any; and if it had, it would have died by now. If it seems in good health, don't worry.
squirrels may spread plague and Tularemia
rabbies and hydro phobia
Gloves would be safer.
I'd wear gloves just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment