Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Baby Squirrel Orphan, How much should he be sleeping?

A baby squirrel walked up to my son yesterday looking for help. He's about 6 weeks old.





I've given him everything he needs according to squirrel rescue sites: warmth, (his temporary home is a 4 ft tall bird cage with 2 levels) foods, timothy grass, a t-shirt to nest in, milk made from a special recipe. He has drunk a little, eaten part of a walnut, and part of a banana. I'm concerned because some sites I've visited say he should be eating every 3 - 5 hrs.. He's not. He really wants to sleep.





I have calls in to people who rescue squirrels regularly but haven't any responses yet.





Any info is welcome.Baby Squirrel Orphan, How much should he be sleeping?
Babies will sleep as much as they are allowed too. I would try to wake him up about every 4 hours and fed him as long as he eats and drinks he should be ok, if he doesn't wake easy or refuses to eat I would try to see if any vets in the area have any suggestions. Also, since you have tried to call rescue workers in your area without any luck, have you thought about calling a local zoo or trying to find a wildlife center to drop him off at?Baby Squirrel Orphan, How much should he be sleeping?
you don't need a permit for a squirrel they sell them in pet stores but your doing everything right i love squirrels just make sure he is getting his protein and I don't think it would be good to put him back out in the wild if you don't want him take him to a wold life place





good luck
baby squirrels will sleep for as long as you let them, If he's opened his eyes yet then he should be waking up for food, if not, then he's just going to sleep all day. wake him up for feeding time.
all the time pretty much, realy the only time you should wake them is to feed them(or give meds if sick).
i don't know but awwwwww. I love squirrels.
first off its illegal to raise a wild squirrel with out a permit. Second, he's a baby babies sleep alot. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that he walked up to a person. It sounds like he's already been cared for by humans who didn't know what they were doing. He know associates people with food and safety which is not good. Mess with him as little as possible to try to get him unused to people also when you go out to feed him scare him. I know this sounds mean but its best for him to be afraid of people
  • lipstick
  • 4 comments:

    1. Hi I have a squirrel which is about 6 weeks and it’s sleeping from past 2 days it dint open it’s eyes but when I wake him up it curls and sleeps more sometimes it stretches it’s legs and when I give it food it eats it but don’t open it’s eyes. I’m not sure now what should I do now

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Same here! I found two babies 6 weeks old and yes they sleep a lot!

        Delete
    2. I found a baby squirrel. What should I feed her. ?

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm caring for a 3wk old,I wake him for feedings an potty time.His eyes aren't opened yet.He really didn't care for the formula either,so I blended some banana into it an he can't get enough...he's so freaking cute

      ReplyDelete