Friday, May 14, 2010

My dad just caught a baby squirrel. What are its chances of surviving if we let it go again?

We had a squirrel in our loft, till we caught it the other day. We thought it was pregnant when we caught it, so instead of killing it (like everyone told us to do) we let it go in the forest.





It turns out that it WAS pregnant, but it had already had its babies in our loft. It only had two, and we already caught one of the babies and let it go in the forest about 2 miles from our house.





Now my dad just caught the other baby, after he found his dog attacking it in the garden. We're not sure how badly it's hurt, if at all, but it's in shock. My dad wants to drive it to the woods asap.





What are its chances of survival there? Would it be kinder just to kill it now, or keep it for a few days and feed it until it's recovered, then release it? Or just release it now?My dad just caught a baby squirrel. What are its chances of surviving if we let it go again?
ZERO chances sorryMy dad just caught a baby squirrel. What are its chances of surviving if we let it go again?
ZERO!


Kill it immediately.
Well it depends on how much of a baby it is.





My cat caught a baby chipmunk last year and was tossing it around for a while. I got the poor thing away from my cat and the thing still lives in a tree outside my house. Squirrels and chipmunks are tougher than a lot of people think....so depending on just how big the squirrel is he might have a good chance of living on his own.
Call your local Humane Society or, if you have one, an animal sanctuary. I found a baby squirrel on my lawn last year and took it to the sanctuary where they nursed it back to health and then released it. Plus you always have to worry about contracting rabies from these rodents. I think if you release it that another animal (hawk?) may have him for lunch.
hey hun


well the chances are not very high


because **** so young im so sorry


x
zero, the mother will find it again but smell human on it and abandon it.


Tough call, nurture it best you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment