Wednesday, May 12, 2010

About relocating a baby squirrel?

I haven't worked in several months. A squirrel has built a nest in my walkboards which I have strapped to the top of my work trailer.Now I have to go back to work. I couldn't help myself and I peeled back the top of the nest to see what the little critters looked like and to try to guess their age. From what i have read on the internet these squirrels are at least four weeks of the six weeks that they need to get out on their own. There are two babies. The fur is getting thinck. The tails are very long, I would say probably guess four inches, easily as long as their body. The eyes aren't open yet. When I peeked, one ran, I caught it and put it back in the nest. It was strong and held on to my fingers with great strength (for a baby squirrel). Now my dilema. Will the scent that I have put on this baby scare the mama away? Will I have to now raise it or call an animal care taker? I don't want to hurt the babies, but my life depends on me going back to work. Please advise.About relocating a baby squirrel?
The scent thing is mostly a myth, if the parents of an animal smell a new scent they will clean the critter off and keep caring for it. I know this because I have owned many wild animals, from wild rabbits to baby deer(fawn). I have relocated many animals after living on a farm here in Kentucky for awhile. I suggest waiting on the squirrels(if possible) to open there eyes, if they are running away then they are able to leave the nest, so I suspect. If you cannot, I suggest making a makeshift nest very close to the area where they are at now, Problem with moving them is, if there are Male Adults in the area they will normally eat the young. BUT there is one more suggestion, Call your local fish and wildlife agency and they will come to your home and pick up the critters and relocate them. That would be your best bet. Hope it helps. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment