Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Raising baby squirrel?

I work at a pet shop and while feeding the snakes in the group of pinky's I found a baby squirrel at first I thought it was a baby rat, so I asked my boss what to do with it. He said since we have nursing rats why not throw it in there maybe the mom will take it. Which she does but then later on in the day I come to find out from one of my coworkers that someone had brought in a baby squirrel. The thing is the rat mama took the squirrel in as one of her babies, my question is do you think the squirrel could live off of the milk that the rat is reproducing?Raising baby squirrel?
http://www.hal-pc.org./~jbsum/squirrel.h鈥?/a>





This is the web address of the best rehabber in the country.





Read carefully and follow to the letter the instructions she gives.





While your temporary solution is unorthodox, realize that baby squirrels nurse far longer than rats. This is a very temporary solution. It will give you the time you will need to put together a hand rearing kit.





You will need a 3cc/mil syringe and ';catac'; nursing nipples. NOT THE PET NURSER BOTTLES. I doubt your store will have the catac nipples. I get mine from Foster/Smith.





Do NOT be tempted to use KMR or Esbilac. Clarissa's website will explain in detail. Good luck to the baby squirrel and to you. You may email me if you need to.Raising baby squirrel?
yes, the difference will come when its time for the squirrel to defecate or urinate it needs to be stimulated like puppies if not it will get backed up and die. Once its eyes are opened you will need to collect nuts and fruits to wein on, regular gerbil or rat Commercial food will not work it will give them diarrhea and it will kill it.
try and keep track of its weight we took care of several baby squirils and fed thm some kind of milk(either kitten or puppy i forget) but once it gets larger i would remove it and feed it urself for it mite not alow the smaller rats to feed and could drain the mother. good luck! (if u need more on feeding it email me)
Rodent milk is rodent milk. It will probably live, take it away from ';mama'; rat as soon as you can. If it gets too big mama will eat it.
Probally Not because they are not in the same family here are the group families;





SQUIRREL RAT


chimpmnuk mice


rabbit posum


raccon hamie








hope this helps





p.s. i hope you find whats best
Yes. mabey the squerel will drink more milk I don't know. The momma rat will apriciate a chiken wing (cooked).
  • lipstick
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment