Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A baby squirrel...what should I do?

I found a baby squirrel in the middle of a road. It's nose was slightly bloody and it seemed to barley be able to walk. I gently covered it with a dark cloth and carried it to the closest tree. I could see a squirrel nest and I could hear one, too. I am not sure what to do...


Should I take it in or let it be?


Another one of my worries are neighborhood cats. It seemed to be defending itself (I tossed a leaf at it's feet and it pounced on it.) I spent about 2 minutes with him, but it kept crawling all over my feet and when I started to walk away it followed me. This worries me about it's outgoing-ness...Could it have rabies? Anything helps! Thanks!A baby squirrel...what should I do?
Always first try to reunite the baby tree squirrel with it's mother.If the baby is injured, cold, it's night time or mom does not come to get it within 2-3 hours, the baby is probably orphaned and needs your help.


If they are bleeding quite a bit or you see obvious broken bones or serious injury, take them to a veterinarian ASAP.


Baby squirrels may have parasites such as fleas, mites, ticks and maggots. Remove the fleas and maggots by hand with flea combs or tweezers. Petco also sells flea and mite sprays made specifically for small animals such as hamsters. If it's a baby pinky, do not apply anything to the squirrel. Put the spray on cloth around the baby. Do not spray into wounds.


A baby squirrel...what should I do?
i have raised baby squirrels for years the bast thing to do is take it in you can mix some peanut butter and a tea spoon of milk togeather and get a eye dropper and feed it.when your feeding it make sure you feed it real slow if milk starts to come out of its nose turn it upside down and pat its back so he will sneeze the rest out,if you dont he can get in his lungs and die.sojust be real easy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment