Friday, May 14, 2010

How old is this baby squirrel I found? How do I take care of him?

I am a victim of hurricane Ike that recently destroyed parts of houston. I am one of the lucky people here. As I was dragging limbs off the roof of my house I found this baby squirrel calling for the mother. We found the nest he lived in and it was part of the fallen tree. I warmed him up as soon as possible and found out he had small teeth. Looks like his teeth may just now be coming in. He's probably 4 or 5 inches in length from head to beginning of his tail. Hes real good about latching on to me and balling up to keep warm, but he won't climb. We tried putting him back on a tree to be free but he wouldn't climb. (He's real good about climbing all over me however) I tried feeding him a sunflower seed with out the case and he wouldn't take it. I'm not sure if I should give him regular milk or maybe I should dilute it a little. I read something about giving pedialite, but our resources are limited here because of the hurricane. (I decided to call the baby squirrel Ike) maybe I should start off with apple sauce? I'm taking any suggestions right now, thanks :)How old is this baby squirrel I found? How do I take care of him?
Believe me it is REALLY HARD to keep baby squirrels alive!! If you dint have pedialite give him a mixture of 1 qt. water, 1 tsp salt, and 3 tsp sugar. DO NOT OVERFEED HIM!!! ive him about one cc of milk every 2 to 3 hours!





It worked great for my baby squirrel! If you can somehow try to give him puppy formula, but I know with how bad things are down where you are.. I live in the great TX,but up north and it made the weather go down to the 70's..which for y'all that don't live down here, that is WAY TO COLD for sept. it should e about 98 about now!!!





I hope everything works out for you and the baby squirrel!!How old is this baby squirrel I found? How do I take care of him?
I HAVE A BABY SQUIRREL. MY 3 YRLD. NAMED HIM SQUIRRELIE SQUIRREL. WHEN I FOUND HIM HIS EYES WERE CLOSED AND HE MADE THIS VERY LOUD SQUEEKING SOUND. I FEED HIM PUPPY FORMULA 5 TIMES A DAY. WHEN HIS EYES OPENED HE STOPPED THE SOUND. NOW HE IS EATING ALL KINDS OF NUTS AND IS VERY CONTENT.

Report Abuse



I REALLY WANT TO LET HIM GO WHEN IS READY, BUT I KNOW THAT I WILL MISS HIM DEARLY. I HAVE TWO CATS WHO ARE ALWAYS GETTING SQUIRRELS AROUND MY HOUSE. MY HUSBAND HAS A GOOD FRIEND WHO LIVES ON ABOUT 10 ACRES. IT IS A NO HUNTING ZONE AND I BELIEVE THAT HE WILL BE VERY HAPPY THERE. I JUST CANT GET HIM

Report Abuse



OFF THE BOTTLE. HE WONT EVEN TRY TO DRINK ANY WATER. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET HIM TO TRY SOMETHING ELSE?

Report Abuse



JUST KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED MY BABY SQUIRREL JUST HAD HIS FIRST DROPPER OF SUGAR WATER. I AM SO EXCITED! LETTING HIM GO IS GOING TO BE SO HARD. HE IS GROWING SO FAST AND IS INTO EVERYTHING NOW. EVERY MINUTE OUT OF EVERY DAY HE IS CHANGING. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? NEED SOME HELP/FAST.

Report Abuse



Dont go to the vet they will put it to sleep! I would feed it milk out of a pet nurser bottle
iOk. First off is to warm him up by putting a heating pad under the enclosure you have him in. Then get some esbilac at pet store if you can and a bottle or syringe with needle off and feed him that. If he is starting to get teeth may feed him some cheerios, small nuts, grapes and apple. If the nest is not completely destroyed or the tree can put back and watch if the mom is still alive she will come get him and carry him off like mom cats do if not then you will need to keep him and then call a vet and get referred to wildlife rehabber in your area that will take him and rehab him until ready for release. Can give some pedilyte if seems dehydrated. There is a web site called Chris's Squirrels and more they have supplies and you can call or email her as she is also a rehabber and specializes in squirrels so she can tell you everything you need to know. I would say he is about 6 weeks old if cutting his teeth. feed formula 4 times day and give weaning foods which are cheerios, grapes, nuts not in shell, rodent chow, monkey chow, sweet potato some broccoli beeries. By 14 weeks ready to be on own only if have learned skills to be. Best chance for this little one is with its mom or a rehabber. So glad to hear you are all ok. :),
are you sure its a squirel? it could be a chipmonk but if it is a squirrel, pinch the skin on the back of its neck. if the skin stays peaked standing up it means the squirrel is dehydrated. if you cant get pedialyte try this. i got it from a rat website but i think it should work for squirrels.





If necessary, until you buy the correct formula, for the first day you can give the baby dilute sugar water, made with 1 cup hot water 戮 teaspoon sugar, and 录 teaspoon of salt. Stir until the sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Discard this solution after 8 hours because it can quickly grow bacteria.





i think you should give it to a wildlife center because squirrels are illegal in most states. to take care of it until you can get him to a center, go to this website. it should help you alot. you can also look on the chipmunk page if you think its a chipmunk.









I'm sure your local vet is very busy right now after all that has happened but there should be a wildlife rescue phone number that you can call and they will give you any information you need to take care of the poor thing! My mom found a few baby birds and squirrels when I was growing up and she would always call an animal rescue line and they were always extremely helpful. It sounds really cute; you should take some pictures and post them. Good luck!
first of all lets all take a moment of silence to honor the survivors and those who were not lucky and did not survive ... the best choice is to take it to the vet.squirrels are sorta wild and they can get pretty crazy and dangerous i do not suggest you to keep one but take it to your local animal shelter and maybe they would take it ( i am sure they will)





EDIT:they may have rabies
  • trilogy
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment