Saturday, January 16, 2010

I can't get my baby squirrel to eat. What do I do?

He is an orphaned squirrel that I found yesterday. Before you comment about it there are no rehabilitators that will take him at this time around here so I'm having to care for him. I have cared for other small animals but this one won't eat from a syringe. I am using a formula given to me by a rehab. person I talked to yesterday. Any suggestions will help...I also can't get him to go ';potty'; even after rubbing with a warm damp cloth for several minutes. Any suggestions would be helpful. ThanksI can't get my baby squirrel to eat. What do I do?
It may be ';down'; because of dehydration. Some animals will shut down if they are too dry. Try a little water, drops at a time. I'm not sure if the Pedialyte is balanced correctly but some of that may help too. If it takes water then try food shortly.


Be very carful as it may be carrying a disease.I can't get my baby squirrel to eat. What do I do?
If he dies you should try eating him... Squirrel is delicious. I'm serious, I dont know how to care for them but hunting them and eating are great.





Good luck on the little fellow, I would just try using a bottle maybe?
i really cant answer your question but this is my experience


i found a baby squirell too........


and it wouldnt eat anything,stop feeding by syringe and try a soft fruit like mashed papaya or banana in a spoon,it licked it but eventually my squirrel did not survive.....


Animals normally abandon their babies when they find that they are not healthy,your squirrel could be suffering from an unknown condition and may not survive too
get rid of it. normal people dont have a squirrel. they are the one of the few animals that carry the plague!
take it to the vet
http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/rehabinfo/鈥?/a>


This site has a recipe for what to feed a baby squirrel, and also tips on how to get the baby to eliminate waste.


The site mentions that you can feed the baby Pedialyte, and to avoid milk.





Hope this helps :-) Good luck with your squirrel baby!
just hold him 4 a while....are his eyes open..? he sounds like his protective system has kicked in and he wont respond untill the nervous system resets...he would be close to a mom and other babies,..they all keep each other warm....they also share smells..[we do to]we wouldnt grow without being able to smell...his heart rythm is higher than ours..and thebeat is rhythm to him..... holding and singing softly can helpif you have a pet cat they may get along....some cats willnursary mom....but if you can hold and cradle him...yr body heat will help...if you feel him start to move...thats good....he wants to balance himself..let him change positions...then talk more to himif you stroke him nose to tail...six times...then 1 btime tail to nose thaen wait for a minute...[this helps him reset]..rub the shoulder area of the spine ever so softly....this stimulates the brain...all mamal mothers do this....thats plenty 4 now...i'll watch how yr doin...the suringe idea may be off because of plastic or rubber....a soft cloth dipped may be more friendly....have fun....and if you have a cat....don't leave the two together...unless theyre really bonded....my cat would bring home little skunks,porqupines,racoons,squirrls.....b鈥? would eat or fight with the adults....maybe territorial?


...hey see ya
Well, you could take him to a vet. Or, you could research what squirrels eat. It all depends on what kind it is. Some squirrels are very picky. And it could be missing it's mother. Whatever it is, try to work it out with a vet. That's probably best.

No comments:

Post a Comment