Friday, January 22, 2010

Wildlife permit for a baby squirrel?

ok, so 3 little baby boy squirls fell from a tree and we're the lucky new care-takers now... and I soo wana keep em after they reach adulthood and I want to know how and where you get a wildlife permit for squirrels???Wildlife permit for a baby squirrel?
You will need to check with the Game Commission, depending on your state, to determine the correct way to apply for a license to do this. Often, wild animals are not permitted to be with anyone except a wildlife rehabiliation santuary that can properly care for these animals.





While they may be cute now, they will grow up to be wild, scratching and biting animals that need room to run and were never meant to be people's ';pets';. They will destroy your home, as climbing and chewing are instinctual behaviors. You also have to be careful of the kinds of diseases they may carry.





You will also have a particularly hard time with trying to keep three male squirrels...they are territorial and will fight. It is best to turn these animals over to a wildlife rescue that can raise them and turn them into the wild.Wildlife permit for a baby squirrel?
you don't need one, I have a flying squirrel and nobody told me I had to have one. and I've had him for over a year now and everybody in town knows about it, so I would say it will be fine!
I love oddball pets--keep your squirrels!! We used to raise raccoons when I was younger. It taught me about animal behavior--
Most states do not issue permits to keep as pets any native wild animals that you have captured (or found orphaned). That is what the licensed wildife rehabilitators are for.





You need to contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. You can find one here: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.鈥?/a>





Licensed wildlife rehabilitators have the specialized training to care for sick, injured and orphaned wild animals, and they have the required state and federal licenses that allow them to keep the wild animals until they are healthy enough to be released.





Do not take the animal to a vet - vets are for pets, and most vets do not have the expertise to care for wild animals; nor do most vets have the proper licenses that would allow them to keep a recuperating wild animal.





And, in spite of your previous experience, you do need a license:





';Not only would providing this care be illegal without state and federal permits, but wild orphans need exhaustive care and species-specific housing, nutrition, and handling'; http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/UW069





';A rehabilitation permit gives me the authority to 'possess native sick, injured or orphaned wildlife, except endangerd or threatened species, for the purpose of rehabilitation and release back into their natural environment.' You notice it does not give me the authority to give out rehabilitation information to individuals that do not hold the proper permits. By doing so, I would risk losing my permits that I had to work very hard to get.'; http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/pleaseread鈥?/a>
I don't know that you would need one, especially if no one knows.
As if all the squirrels in the woods have wildlife permits.





Squirrels are not good pets. They are destructive and gnaw through anything. If you keep these things you will regret it sooner or later, and probably sooner. I tried this once and believe me, it does not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment