Friday, January 22, 2010

Is it illegal to take care of baby squirrels in FL?

Someone found five orphaned squirrels (his neighbor was cleaning out the pipes and was gonna kill them) but he didn't know what to do with them so he brought them to me. I'm not asking how to take care of them since I already know that, I'm asking if it is legal for me to even have them. I live in Suwanee County in Florida, does anyone know what the rules are for this kind of thing? Thanks!Is it illegal to take care of baby squirrels in FL?
the laws for animal rehabilitation are very similar state to state and only differ in what is included/excluded with different permits. The requirement of needing a permit to care for a wild animal does not change state to state so YES it is illegal for you to care for a squirrel. Give it to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and in the future get your permits so you can do it legally and you already know how! :o)Is it illegal to take care of baby squirrels in FL?
In Florida, squirrels do not even require a permit to possess. I think the reason is squirrels are usually considered nuisance animals . I do know gray squirrels are considered game mammals, so you might have to follow special rules for them.





Appendix of Captive Wildlife Categories





I. Wildlife Not Requiring a Permit


The following species do not require a permit for personal possession as long as no other Rule or Statute applies. Examples include, but are not limited to, rules for Threatened or Endangered Species:





9. Squirrels; chipmunks
I live in Florida to an there is no law saying it is illegal for taking care of Baby Squirrels so go ahead an take care of them if you wish
Call the county and ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment