Friday, January 22, 2010

Why don't anybody ever seen baby squirrels with the adult squirrels?

I did last year, it was amazing!!!





there was a tree lined street, and i sat on a low wall underneath this tree to have my lunch and i couldn't believe it, mum squirrel with her baby!!!





I sat very still, they were running around on the grass, looked like they were playing.


Then the baby jumped off the low wall and onto the pavement and went underneath a parked van. mum got really anxious, until he ran back out to her, then he couldn't get back up onto the wall, took several attempts. they were about 4 foot away from me!!





After a while they went back up to the nest, but it took the baby a few attempts again to get up there!





I was lost for words, it really made my day! :)Why don't anybody ever seen baby squirrels with the adult squirrels?
By the time the young ones leave the safety of the nest they appear and act just like the adults, only slightly smaller. You are actually seeing them you just don't recognize them for what they are.Why don't anybody ever seen baby squirrels with the adult squirrels?
Babies are safely hidden away in the nest - I know because a family of squirrels discovered the warmth and safety of my attic. We listened to the squeeks of the little ones overhead for weeks. Then they grew into noisier, playful kids! I always thought squirrels were cute until then. Luckily with tree pruning and removals, we have been free of them this year.
I don't know. I've wondered the same things.
Good question.Maybe because they grow so fast that by the time they leave their nests they look almost full grown so we don't notice?I dunno! LOL
Security.





Adults are out foraging, and distracting predators *away* from where the babies are hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment