Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Had an encounter with a baby squirrel today...?

Squirrel was right by the door of my fence crying, a terrible whiney cry. It wasn't moving away from me, and I touched it to see if it would run. Apparently it can kinda move, don't know if it has a broken leg or back, but it seems to move its front legs no problem.





I scooped it up with gloves and put it in a box, tomorrow I will take it to a wildlife refugee. Is there anything I can do to make its stay a little easier in the box, aside from a little water?Had an encounter with a baby squirrel today...?
I got this from my city's local newspaper:





Dana Fasolette, president of Gold Country Wildlife Rescue of Auburn states - “We discourage people from feeding baby squirrels anything because they could feed them the wrong thing. We just encourage them to keep them warm, dark and quiet.” Had an encounter with a baby squirrel today...?
my best friend is a squirrel. i named him arturo. =D


anyways. i would say talk to him like i do with my best friend arturo but then againthat might scare him . just leave him alone give him water and put hiim somewhere you know he cant escape[ wouldnt want th little guy getting into trouble]
Poor squirrel. You should call the wildlife ranger and ask them what you can do for the little guy. People like you puts a smile on my face...it is not common to see people helping helpless animals here....
it can probably eat nuts (not salted) and its smart to where a glove cuz it could have rabies it probably fell out of a tree and could be injured try not to stress it out take it to a vet ASAP
Just cut a little wedge of grass out of the ground and lay the squirrel on it this will make it feel at home. and use hard dried corn on the cob. or non-salted peanuts.
Lay some leaves, plants in the box, so it'll feel more relaxed. Take it to the vet- or yea where your going. Make sure it's OK, then release it into the wild
Some leaves, some nuts and other outside things like that.





I hope he's ok. I think it's awesome when people try to help animals.
You might get some green pine needles and put them in there for it to lay on.
I'm sorry I don't really know. Some food and bedding perhaps? But awwwwww, what a sad story. Hope it makes a good recovery.
Maybe some nuts.
give it some peanuts or like nuts or something to eat like that....
It's probably best to just keep doing what you're doing. I love helping animals. They seem to flock to me for some reason, like I'm some kind of animal-helping-goddess.


Sad Story:


One time I was walking my dog through the neighborhood golf course, and as I was walking by the pond, I suddenly saw a tiny baby bird struggling and flapping its wings in the water. I thought it was a duck at first, but when I pulled it out of the water (letting my dog run home on his own), I saw that it was just a baby bird. I looked up at the tree above us, and saw an empty nest, no other birds in sight. I know that normally, if a mom bird sees one of her babies has fallen out of the nest, she'll still feed it, but there are a lot of cats, dogs, and coyotes around the place, so I took the baby bird home with me.


I put it in a bucket where my dog couldn't get to it, and then tried to call a wildlife reserve, but they were all closed since it was Saturday, and they wouldn't be open until Tuesday (3 day weekend). So I put together sugar water in a syringe and fed the baby every hour or so.


It actually seemed to get healthier over the course of the weekend, and whenever I came outside with the syringe, it would jump onto the edge of the bucket and open its mouth, waiting for its sugar water.


Then tuesday came, and I had to go to school. I put the birdie in the bathroom with the syringe tied to the edge of the bucket in case it got hungry, and I asked my sister (who was staying home) to feed it every once in a while. When I got home, my sister said that she didn't feed the birdie at all, and that she watched it die that afternoon. I was so horrified, and sad, and I buried the bird on the golf course where I found it.


But after that, hurt animals such as pigeons, crows, and cats seemed to be flocking to my house. The first birdie was the only one that died.


:(

No comments:

Post a Comment