Monday, January 4, 2010

Where can I get a baby squirrel as a pet?

I used to work at an animal shelter and I fostered a baby squirrel that had been abandoned by her mother. I had to let her go when she got old enough. I absolutely loved her and I'd love to foster another one, but I have no idea where I'd come across one. I've checked local vet offices and shelters but so far nothing.Where can I get a baby squirrel as a pet?
Check your local wildlife refuge. There is a place near me that raises babies of all kinds that have been seperated from their mothers and then they release them back into the wild. A place like this may let you adopt one.Where can I get a baby squirrel as a pet?
look for a local exotic pet trader ... most of the time you need a licence to own one... at least in Fl you do





but keep checking animal control and stuff or pet sancutaries that take care of abandoned wildlife
hmmmmm...i'm not sure but you should first check with the laws in your state. in some it is illegal to have certain pets.





if you can't find a squirrel, maybe you could try a sugar glider. I've known people who have had them as pets and completely loved them. However, check with your state's laws. I know that in California you CANNOT.





anyways good luck!
Why foster one ? Chipmunks ( Korean squirrels ) are an alternative and can be bought in most petshops without a license and just as much fun.





They need a tall cage, preferably about 2 yards (meters) high at least, but it is not such a big deal if you can leave the trap open so they can run around a room ... they will go back to their cage alone ... eventually lol ... where you can lock them in again.
Don't do that. Those are creatures of the wild, lets leave them there. What you did was great, you also let it loose. Keep them free.
Squirrels aren't pets. They are wild animals and they should remain just that. The best and only thing I could recomend for you to do would be working at a wildlife rescue center in your area.
THAT CANT BE DONE BECAUSE THEY LOVE THE WILD!!THEY WILL BE SAD IF YOU DO LIKE THAT...LEAVE 'EM!!





IF YOU WANT THEM..JUST GO ABOUT A WEEK IN THE FOREST AND SPOT A PLACE WHERE SQUIRREL STAYS AND PUT A FOOD AND GO!! LEAVE....
look under exotics pet in your news paper
It's a wild animal..........you can't keep them as pets.....tried.....got in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment