Saturday, January 16, 2010

What should I do about the baby squirrel I found in my backyard?

This past afternoon, I found a baby squirrel (about a 12inches long), it has full fur, in my backyard. I'm scared that he might get hurt or something, not sure if he fell from a tree. My dog found him a few hours ago and i'm worried that something might happen to him. I feel so bad...what do I do? Should I throw something back there like a towel or something he can burrow into to keep warm? (It'll be like 45-50f tonight)





Thanks!!What should I do about the baby squirrel I found in my backyard?
Take it to a shelter, humane society, wildlife rescue place, or even a vets office. Chances are the mom is not coming back for it and if it is really young then it will not know how to defend itself. If it looks old enough to walk around and find its own food then leave it alone and maybe give it some shelter (box, towel) until it can find its bearings.What should I do about the baby squirrel I found in my backyard?
I would call animal control. I was once at my grandma's house my sister and i went to the local park and we found about 6 baby bunnies. They looked like they were 2-3 weeks old. So we told this lady and she called animal control. They told her to do something to see if the mother will come. Because the mom was not with them. Animal Control will tell you to do something that wont hurt them. I hope this will help you! :)
Watch it for an hour or so to see if its mom comes and gets it and in the meantime give it some water. If she doesn't, call a local animal control center or spca to come over and get it (not sure if it's a good idea to actually take it over yourself while it's in something like a medium-sized box).
I would find a wildlife shelter if it's too young to care for itself. If it's too late I would just put a box out there to protect it, if you touch it and mom comes around she may not take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment