Monday, January 18, 2010

How to care for a baby squirrel?

I found a baby squirrel in my backyard after falling from its nest in a tree. How can I take care of it? food/drink?How to care for a baby squirrel?
I found a baby squirrel in the middle of a street about 10 years ago, with a dead mom beside it. I went to my vet and bought a can of milk and a tiny little bottle and fed the little one (getting up at night just like with a human baby) and before I knew it, he (Rocky) was maturing and I would let him out in the yard every morning and late in the afternoon he would come and sit on the brick under my kitchen window. I would let him back in and put him back in his cage. He slowly but surely got used to being out until he just stayed out all of the time. He was a cute little guy, and never bit me. Also, I might mention that I hung one of those little water thingies that you put in a gerbils cage and I found him treats at Walmart.How to care for a baby squirrel?
If it is not clearly injured, leave it alone. Unless it has been there for a few days, it is not likely abandoned, but just out of the nest. If you believe it to be injured, you should call your nearest wildlife rehabilitator or local vet office.


If you have a dog or cat, try to keep them away from it.
Oh, gee - that is so difficult. Do you have a certified wildlife rehab person or center anywhere near you?


where are you?





It is not easy to do it without professional help. I don't know if she will be able to help you,l but i will look up email of local rehabv person here.








Addendum: I can't find an email address, but here is website and phone numbers:





Kathy Cummings, Keller, VA


PhoneL: (757) 442-7665 or (757) 709- 1840

No comments:

Post a Comment