Monday, January 18, 2010

How do i take care of a one week old baby squirrel?

found baby squirrel in backyard. I haven't seen any adult squirrels all day when i usually see all the time. besides giving it milk. what is the temp it needs to be at? and what else need to be done. i tried calling a wildlife number but no answer. The baby squirrel is 1 to 2 weeks oldHow do i take care of a one week old baby squirrel?
I found a baby squirrel about 4 years ago, it was very weak and lethargic, but I was able to nurse it back to health. I was actually raising baby birds at the time, so I fed it baby bird food. It comes in a container, it's a tan colored powder that you mix with water to make a paste, more or less water depending on what consistency. You can buy it at petsmart or another petstore. I used a syringe to feed it. I kept it in a bird breeding box inside of a bird cage. Be careful for fleas! We had to give her a flea bath and bug bomb our house because she brought fleas in : ( I don't think you need a heater, but I could be wrong. I think a blankie would be good enough inside of a box for it to feel safe. We offered fruit and nuts until she learned to eat on her own and then we stopped with the baby bird food. They are vegitarians. Also offer water. And be careful, when it gets older if it is out and about in your home, they will start chewing on electrical cords. I have to say, Coal was one of the best pets I ever had! She was so sweet and would play like a dog or cat with us. I would take her outside in our yard for a little while and she would come back inside, but eventually she started staying out longer and longer until she was living outside and visiting every so often. She came back to visit for years, even bringing her 'boyfriend' with her to get peanuts from us. I hope I was some help! Hopefully you can keep her alive and healthy and reintroduce her back outside. It is illegal to keep squirrels because they are wild animals, so be careful. I also had a baby bird at one point, but when he got older he landed on my rat's cage and my rat bit his leg. When we tried to take him to the vet to make sure he was ok, they took him away from us. I always wonder what happened to him. Anyway, enough of my babbling! Hope all goes well with you!How do i take care of a one week old baby squirrel?
I have a friend that follows Clarissa's method with good results. http://users.hal-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.鈥?/a>
  • origins
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment